Atalaia Diving Center – Madeira
Atalaia Diving Center is open from Monday till Saturday, between 09:00 and 17:00 o’clock. The dive center closes for holiday at the end of the first week of January and reopens at the 1st of March.
Atalaia’s house reef is the biggest in Madeira, with 6 top house reef spots that you can reach directly from the shore, with depths between 3 m to 30 m.
The house reef starts directly where the underwater natural park ends, giving us a very healthy environment to dive.
As Madeira is a volcanic island, we have lots of lava formation underwater. You can count with steep walls, tunnels, caves, canyons, wreck diving and much life to see.
The dive center is directly inside of the hotel Roca Mar and Royal Orchid, making very easy for the hotel guests to wake up, have breakfast and come directly down to the lido area and dive!
Perfect for all different levels of experience and for families.
Rental equipment is changed every 2 years, giving more quality to your experience.
Our team comes from different countries; we speak English, German, Portuguese and Spanish.
The Dive Center
Founded in March 1988 by Joe Klenk, Marco Klenk took over the Dive Center on 2016 from his father Joe. In 2022 the dive center was sold to Pedro Fernandes, Ainhoa Zubeldia and Frank Erhardt, team that leads actually the newly renovated Dive Center. The team offers relaxed diving in small groups at the highest level of comfort, individual service and respectable diving education. Of course there’s space for tons of fun too. The Dive Center has a pool for educational training and Discover Scuba Diving sessions as well as direct access to six top dive sites right at the doorstep. Atalaia highly values top-certified dive instructors and high-class equipment.
Right above the Diving Center you find the following hotels: Royal Orchid ****, Roca Mar **** and Cais da Oliveira ****, with dreamlike views of the Atlantic… up to the offshore islands, the Desertas Islands.
There is also the possibility to book local accommodation around the area.
The Dive Center can be reached from almost all the hotels in and around Caniço de Baixo in no time.
Diving with Atalaia Diving Center, certificated as SSI and PADI Dive Resort, is ideal for education from beginners to Divemasters and also offers great deals for experienced divers. No matter whether it’s the Canyon Reef, Moray’s Wall, inside the Cave or the Blue Hole, there’s always something new to discover. Boat dives in the nearby Underwater Marine Park Garajau with the big groupers are as well part of the program. On customer request we individually offer autonomous diving as buddy-team and night dives.
The name ATALAIA indicates the area where the Dive Center is located. ATALAIA means “The Guard“. You recognize a clear male face in the rock formation of the eastern coastline about 1 kilometer from the Atalaia Diving Center. “The Guard“ watches and protects the offshore area. He embodies the guardian of the sea like Neptune or Poseidon in the mythology.
Our Dive Center is equipped with:
- 3 freshwater showers for hygienic cleaning of neoprene and a big tank for cleaning all the other equipment
- 3 platforms of 2.7 meters – for back-friendly and comfortable mounting of your equipment
- Storage for your private equipment (wet space and dry space)
- L&W Compressor silent, with power delivery of 570 liters /min. for ultra quick filling
- BWA Rib, 7.40 m, Mercury 175 HP, to hold a max. of 16 people with ladder to easy enter the boat with equipment
- Swimmingpool (2.10 m deep, fresh water) for training sessions
- Well sorted workshop to take care of equipment
- Small but capable fine dive-shop
- Wi-Fi and free Internet access in the shop
Equipment in all current dimensions – always in top condition:
- BCD (SCUBAPRO)
- Wetsuit 7 mm (Mares)
- Regulator (SCUBAPRO)
- High-quality UW torch (Mares)
- Dive computer (Mares Puck Pro)
- Adjustable Diving fins – boots are not for rent due to hygienic reasons (please bring your own ones)
- Masks, fins and snorkel in all dimensions for rent
- Steel tanks 10 L and 12 L with monovalve, DIN + INT
- 15 L tanks for our BIG ones
- 7 L tanks for our small ones
Please don’t forget: logbook, diving certification and medical certification (Diving fitness examination DFE)